India- World’s largest democracy with more than 1.2 billion people. Here are some incredible facts about India that are true but you never know. So keep calm and have a look at our Amazing India.
Amazing, incredible and also true facts about India that every Indian must know–
1. Around a 100 million years ago, India was an island. (Picture may be wrong but its true guys… incredible).
2. India’s name is derived from the “Indus” river. Indus Valley Civilisation is the world’s oldest civilisation. India, hence, is the world’s oldest, most advanced and continuous civilisation.
3. India has been the largest troop contributor to the United Nations Peace keeping Missions since its inception.
4. India has the world’s third largest active army, after China and USA. India’s army is the biggest “voluntary” army in the world.
5. The Kailashnath temple in Ellora is carved out of one single rock! Starting from reverse: first the roof then the pillars and then finally the base. Truly amazing!
6. The Tirupati Balaji temple and the Kashi Vishwanath Temple both, receive more visitors than the Vatican City and Mecca combined.
7. Every 12 years, a religious gathering called the Kumbh Mela occurs in India. It is the world’s largest gathering of people. The gathering is so large that the Kumbh Mela is visible from the space. Unbelievable fact!
8. Varanasi is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
9. India is home to 3,00,000 mosques which is more than any country in the world. And the third largest Muslim population in the world.
10. Takshila is said to be the first every university in the world, it started around 700 BC. Today, India has the world’s largest school in terms of students, the City Montessori School in Lucknow. It has more than 45 thousand students!
11. Indian Railways employs more than 1.3 million people. That’s more than the population of many nations. Amazing.
12. More than 54 crore people voted in the 2014 General Election – more people than the population of USA, UK, Australia and Japan combined. Incredible fact.
13. Number of births in India every year is more than the total population of Australia, and many other nations.
14. India has the largest English speaking population in the world.
15. India’s first rocket was brought on cycle and a satellite on bullock cart. And despite budgetary constraints, India’s space program is one of the top 5 space programs in the world.
16. English Actor Sir Ben Kingsley’s birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji and he is of Indian (Gujarati) descent.
17. In a village called Shani Shingnapur in Maharashtra, people have been living in houses with no doors for generations. This is because they believe that whoever steals anything from this place will incur the wrath of Shani God and will have to pay for his/her sins very dearly. There is no police station in this village either.
18. Magnetic Hill is a gravity hill located near Leh in Ladakh, India. The hill is alleged to have magnetic properties strong enough to pull cars uphill and force passing aircraft to increase their altitude in order to escape magnetic interference.
19. Viswanathan Anand is the first player in chess history to have won the World Championship in three different formats: knockout, tournament, and match.
20. Chess was invented in India.
21. Buttons were invented in India. Yes, your shirt’s buttons.
22. We also invented the ruler.
23. And shampoo.
24. Indian discovered the the number zero, value of pi and trigonometry, algebra, calculus.
25. Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world.
26. Did you know? The Taj Mahal is taller than the Qutub Minar.
27. Even only Bangalore has more Grade-A offices than Singapore.
28. India is the largest producer of films in the world.
29. India has the largest amount of vegetarians in the world. So much so that Pizza Hut had to open their first pure vegetarian restaurant in the country. And KFC had to introduce a “vegetarian” menu for India. And so did McDonalds.
30. May 26 is celebrated as the Science Day in Switzerland in honour of former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, because on the day, Kalam visited the country.
31. Martial Arts was first created in India.
32. Dr. Shrikant Jichkar holds the record for “India’s most qualified person”. He was an IAS, IPS, lawyer, doctor, D. Litt (Doctor of Letters) in Sanskrit , the highest degree in a University, photographer, actor, radio operator, youngest MLA at the age of 25, held 14 portfolios, had 20 degrees, 28 gold medals & had a library of 52,000 books.
33. Havells – an Indian brand. Where many people consider it as a cool name for a brand but many don’t know that it actually means Haveli Ram Gupta.
34. India is the only country in the world which has both tigers and lions in the wild.
35. Haldiram’s revenue is more than the combined revenue of Domino’s & McDonald’s (from India).
36. The automobile company Mahindra and Mahindra was before partition known as Mohammed and Mahindra. But after partition Mahindra brothers took forward the legacy.
37. An Indian man, Jadav Payeng started planting trees on a barren sandbar at 17. He is now 47 and lives in his own 1360 acre forest which now houses rhinos, tigers, deer, apes and elephants.
38. The India-Pakistan World Cup semi-final match in Mohali drew 150 million viewers worldwide.
39. Sachin Tendulkar. (Okay, you knew this! The God of Cricket)
40. India is the world’s largest importer of arms. But India has never invaded or attacked a country.
East or West, India is the best. Saare jahan se accha Hindostaan hamara…!!